Press Release: Popped Biscuits Serves Notice to the Field
Island Pond, VT - August 23, 2005: This afternoon, Team Popped Biscuits released a carefully worded retort to their detractors by way of email to RR HQ. The following is the release in its entirety:
"I'm pleased to see that our odds have increased from 30:1 to 20:1 in recent days. This tells me that the rest of the participants may be coming to terms with the fact that Joe, The Spotted Bitch (the brains behind our operation) and I could well be in contention. All of your idle threats mean nothing to Team Popped Biscuits.
One thing that must be understood is that, despite our severe horsepower handicap, we've got an ass-load of tenacity and a serious case of ingenuity in our favor. Combined with my Beastly English Brawn (tm) and Joe's Boyish Looks (he's a favorite toy amongst the faithful sects) and our very own Secret Weapon, we can get done, whatever needs to get done. I understand Joe's bringing his "P-Town Slippers" (aka: kneepads) just in case.
Also noteworthy is that I drove solo in a similar VW THING, with LESS HP, on a 10 month, X-country trip six years ago. Took six weeks to get to Seattle via back roads but damn it, I made it. Island Pond really isn't that far away by comparison.
I also know where the bars are en route, being a Lyndon State Graduate (or so I'm told). If time permits, we might head up to Sherbrook, Canada for some hot-strip-club-action at Studio Sex. So, in the name of self preservation, I suggest you guys stop belittling the hidden powers of the VW THING. It's by choice we are taking the THING - trust me, we have faster options at our disposal.
Laugh not at it's orange glow in your rearview mirror because what it lacks in speed... cornering.. braking.. safety...comfort... it makes up for in endurance & charm. I might even stop on the side of the road to lend a hand to the team in the Trans Am... only long enough to remember that I only carry metric tools... before unleashing all 46 air-cooled horsepower again.
I'd also like to add that the speculation early on that we forged our team because Joe was abused by his brothers of Team Akina Speed Stars as a child is a bunch of hooey. Joe may be afraid of his brothers,but I'm not. I think they should change their name to "Team Pushovers".
See you in Island Pond.. Eventually. -greg-"
Ed. Note: In related news, RR2005 color commentator Mark K. (a three time Rally Champion in his own right) called in from a yak on mainland China to comment on Popped Biscuits odds and chances, "I'm gonna put a lot of yuan on Popped Biscuits at 20-1. Hobson seems to think their lack of horsepower is a disadvantage, but I see it as an advantage. Here's the rub... even though they'll only be able to get the Thing up to 30-40 mph, with the pedal to the floorboards, they'll be much more aware of their surroundings. This should translate into fewer speed-related missed opportunities. However, whether or not they can stop and turn around in an efficient way remains to be seen. I still think the current odds make them a good wager at this point."
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home